Thursday, July 22, 2010

To Lu or Not To Lu

Made plans to meet up with an old friend tonight for drinks and dinner. No doubt where I wanted to go--TacoLu Baja Mexicana!! The thing is, that the last two times I tried to go there, it didn't work out. Actually, there have been three times that I didn't make it to "The Lu." The first was a few months ago. Similar situation...meeting up with a girlfriend I hadn't seen in a long time. I'm on my way there and she calls me, "They're closed." I'm like "No way!" "Yep, it doesn't look like there's anybody here at all. No lights on..." Monday. Monday. Monday. TacoLu is closed on Mondays.

I think the reason I like TacoLu so much (other than the food is amazing!) is because it is casual, but not boring. There's the bright-colored decor, noisy hum of conversations in the bar and dining room, energetic waitstaff--friendly, friendly, friendly (they all seem really happy to be working there) and of course, knowing that I'm gonna get a delicious meal whether I just order a couple of fish tacos or try something new.

So anyway, the next time I missed out on a meal there was on May 5th. Ring a bell? May 5th at a Mexican restaurant. Maybe if I had gone at 2pm, but at 5:30...forget it. People were flooding the parking lot waiting to get in. I'm sure it was a good party that night, but I'm too old and I was HUNGRY. (So I ate English fish 'n chips in an Irish pub for Cinco de Mayo.)

Recently, it was after a long day on the beach; One of those Saturdays where you bake in the sun (ya, ya, I know--bad for you) and then float in the ocean, and repeat sun, water, sun, water. Showered, twisted my wet hair into a knot, threw on a sundress and BBFE (best boyfriend ever) and I headed over to the Lu. The problem was that we ate a late breakfast and no lunch so now it's about 6:30 and we're STARVING! Well, we did find a place to park, but the wait was 30-40 minutes and we knew we'd never make it. I don't even remember where we ate that night, but anything would have been a let down after anticipating my favorite shrimp all afternoon.

But tonight, felicidad--happiness! We met at six and were seated right away. (I was a little worried because there was a write-up in the paper today about the Lu.) I didn't need to look at the menu, I knew what I wanted. Been thinking about it all day. Baja Salad with Bangin' Shrimp. Just order it. "Roasted corn, crisp green beans, poblano chiles (for a little heat) served on a bed of mixed greens with our home-made Cilantro-Lime Vinaigrette"--$6.99; add Bangin' Shrimp $4.00 (You also have other choices for add-ons.) It's FRESH, cool, with a bit of a kick from the chopped chiles, and a dressing that is refreshing. That's the way I always describe the salad to people, "Refreshing." My friend ordered Bangin' Shrimp tacos, which she liked, but when my salad came, she looked at it and said, "I want THAT." It's my favorite--can't see that ever changin'. I wanna keep this "restaurante y cantina" a Beaches secret, but afraid it's too late for that...rumors of a second location?

Muchas gracias TacoLu!

No comments:

Post a Comment